Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Growing as a student: Develop your study plan

What's the easiest way to learn course content? Read the recommended text passages, attend class regularly, listen intently, and take your own notes. In addition, you might find it helpful to develop a study plan.

Set a schedule.
To develop a good study plan, think about the process of studying. Decide where and when you want to study. Create a weekly schedule and block off the day in one-hour parts. Mark times for classes, labs, lectures, extracurricular activities, work, and sleep time. Then, find specific study times for each subject and stick to studying those subjects at those times every week.

Stay healthy.
Many students find that when they get into a heavy study routine, it can be easy to forget about regular exercise and healthy eating habits. Make sure to include time for exercise and relaxation, because the healthier your body, the better you can deal with stress.

Take advantage of timing.
Deciding when to study is critical. A good rule of thumb is to study when you are rested and alert. Start with the more challenging and difficult tasks while your mind is most focused and open for information.

If your study period is before a lecture class, be sure you have read all the assignments and made notes on what you don't understand. If the study period is after the lecture class, review the notes you took during class while the information is still fresh in your mind.

Take breaks to re-energize.
When you're busy studying, don't forget to take breaks every once in a while. Also, every half-hour, you should take a few minutes to reflect on what you just learned. If you understand what you just studied, you'll be able to summarize it for a parent or friend who is helping you. If you stumble, reread or restudy the material. If that doesn't work, write down what you just learned. All of these activities can help you reinforce the main points.

Form a study group.
Study groups can help you conquer challenging course material. Invite three to six people to meet regularly to discuss and review material. Set a regular meeting time, decide on studying timelines, and split up responsibilities for the group. Keep a list of e-mail addresses and phone numbers so that you can communicate between study sessions.

1 comment:

  1. I chose this article because it tells me how I can improve my grades, how can I become a much better student. I am having some trouble in some of my classes and I wanted to know efficient ways to study. After reading this article, I learned that I should get ahead of class, be prepared, and review the class notes after it. And when I study at home, I should give myself a small break every so often to re-energize and refresh my brain.

    ReplyDelete